The Work Group operates the New Jersey Youth Corps of Camden County. The Work Group’s Youth Corps is a voluntary program for young people who are not currently enrolled in school. We accept approximately 60 youth annually who at admission have met the minimum entrance criteria of a 6.0 reading and math grade level. Our students are 16 to 24 years of age.
The Work Group’s Youth Corps experience is a rigorous one – a full-time combination of academics leading to a High School Diploma, work experience through community service and in person customer service instruction, work readiness training, and career development counseling. This is a full-time 4-month program which runs year round 5 days a week 7 hours a day. Youth participate in academics 2 full days per week and work experience/community service 2 ½ days per week.
Our Program Components
Career Development & Job Readiness
Second Stage Services
Customer Service Training
• 100% of the students have left public schools.
• 28% of our students come to us having left school in middle school.
• 48% of our students are African American, 46% are Hispanic, 5% are Caucasian, and 1% are other nationalities.
• 77% of our students are under the age of 20.
• 30% of our students are parents: Custodial – 25%, Non-custodial – 5%.
• 25% of our students are on probation or parole at the time of entry into the program.